Thursday, August 21, 2008

The best part about college

What's the best part about being in college that you can never get back? Well, there are so many things, but as I am sitting here on the the couch in Atlanta, I realized what I miss most about being in college.

You can't walk to get ice cream at all hours of the night.

Being able to go out at 9:00, 10:00. 11:00... when ever, and get ice cream with my roommates. Seriously. We were an ice cream eating bunch, me, Nichole, Emily, and Jenna. We were the roommates that fed off the the cravings of the other three. If one person had bought ice cream, at some point or another, all three of us would see the one eating it and immediately start craving it. It was really weird, and really funny (now at least). We especially loved Ben and Jerry's Fish Food... OMG... there are absolutely no words. And on more than one occasion in the two years the four of us lived together (with various other roommates) we would walk down to the 18th street IGA (yeah-- the super sketchy one) and each buy an outrageously expensive pint of ice cream. And then we would proceed to walk back to our house, a house i miss so much with its giant rooms and fireplaces and my own spaces, and we would eat our ice cream sitting on the front porch, or more often than not all piled into the sofa with millions of blankets and huddled around the heater.

After college, you don't get to do that quite as often I am finding. You can't make midnight runs to the 24 hour Kroger to get groceries (best time ever... no one is there except other college students), or realize that you can stay up until 2 or 3 talking to you roommates, get up in time for an 8am class, come home, nap, work, practice, and still have time to do homework at the library (stinky from practice of course), all before midnight. Or the spur of the moment rafting trip to the Ocoee, or anywhere for that matter. I coming home from a Frisbee party around 3am, grabbing some popcorn, and sitting in my dorm room with Heather and winding down talking about the night until one of us nodded off (usually me). I miss being able to walk 90% of the places I needed to go, or calling a friend five minutes before you are heading to lunch to realize that they are heading there too.

OK, so I'm not sure what prompted this impromptu stroll down memory lane-- i think it was because I wanted ice cream right around the end of Ugly Betty, and realized that after college, all of your friends start to have real jobs and can't run out for ice cream at 9pm, and none of them live close to me for it to be plausible on a Thursday night anyway. It just isn't possible, and you have to work a lot harder for those moments of randomness. Damn... this got sad really fast for me. That wasn't supposed to happen...

1 comment:

Manhands said...

this post about ice cream reminds me of freshmen year when me & ellen got drunk, walked around the streets of auburn, and bought ice cream from McDonalds. During this walk black people hit on ellen, and he old me that black people love her. It was then I starting saying "They want your ice cream" And used the word "ice cream" as a code word for the you-know-what